Seven high school students honored as Junior Leadership graduates
Seven local high sophomores were honored as members of the 2016 Junior Leadership of Hazleton graduating class. The students received a scholarship to attend Junior Leadership as recipients of the Edgar L. Dessen Community Scholarship Award.
The Junior Leadership graduates are:
- Ann Amentler, the daughter of Ron and Kate Amentler of Drums, a student at Hazleton Area Academy of Sciences.
- Gerald Gasser, the son of Chris and Janet Gasser of Hazleton, who attends Hazleton Area High School.
- Morgan Gower, the daughter of Michael and Michelle Gower of Weatherly, a student at Weatherly Area High School.
- Garrett Kost, the son of Joseph and Natalie Kost of Freeland, who attends MMI Preparatory School.
- Jenna O’Donnell, the daughter of Patrick and Kathleen O’Donnell of Hazleton, a student at Marian Catholic High School.
- Natalie Ryba, the daughter of Anthony and Rose Ryba of Sugarloaf, who attends Hazleton Area Academy of Sciences.
- Nicolas Vitagliano, the son of Robert and Sandra Vitagliano of Hazle Township, a student at Hazleton Area High School.
The Edgar L. Dessen Community Service Award was established in 2001 to honor CAN DO’s founder, Dr. Edgar L. Dessen, on the occasion of the 45th anniversary of CAN DO. For the 14th year, the Dessen award encouraged students to become active in their community and was facilitated by the CAN DO Community Foundation.
The award has now been given to more than 70 students to attend Junior Leadership. The leadership program provides students with an opportunity to further their experience in service, learn leadership and teamwork skills and grow and become more self-confidant as they prepare for college and beyond.
Seven local high sophomores were honored as members of the 2016 Junior Leadership of Hazleton graduating class. Pictured are, from left: Nancy Stasko, CAN DO Community Foundation; Morgan Gower, Weatherly Area High School; Gerald Gasser, Hazleton Area High School; Nicholas Vitagliano, Hazleton Area High School; Ann Amentler, Hazleton Area Academy of Sciences; Jenna O’Donnell, Marian Catholic High School; Garrett Kost, MMI Preparatory School; and Joe Clark, Junior Leadership. Natalie Ryba, a student at Hazleton Area Academy of Sciences, was also a Junior Leadership graduate.